Community-Based Re-Engagement Coaches Pilot
16-24 Out of School, Out of Work Alignment Team
The 16-24 Out of School, Out of Work Alignment Team focuses on the educational and employment needs of young adults ages 16-24 who have left secondary education without a diploma and are not employed.
There are approximately 10,000 young adults between the ages of 16-24 without a high school diploma and without a job in Nashville/Davidson County (2010 U.S. Census). For each high school dropout who remains unemployed, the total social burden is approximately $37,450 per year*. Alignment Nashville's 16-24 A-Team shares the belief that without further education and/or job preparation, these young adults will not make the transition to productive, working adults and incarceration is much more likely than not.*
* The Economic Value of Opportunity Youth, 2012. W.K. Kellog Foundation for the Coorpration for National and Communtiy Service
WHAT DO WE WANT TO DO?
Coaching Tactic: The 16-24 A-Team is seeking candidates (existing staff of organizations) to be a part of a ground-breaking Re-Engagement Coaching pilot program (Re3).
This is the second pilot in this strategy. This will be a 1-year pilot which has been designed to build and capitalize on a community-based network of coaches which are current staff members within organizations that already serve the 16-24 year old population in some capacity.
The selected coaches will receive (1) an intensive 4 half-day coaches training, (2) supplemented with a 16-24 OOS, OOW Resource Guide compiled and written with the direction of the 16-24 A-Team. This guide has been created in response to needs identified through a survey of 16-24 year olds about their needs and barriers to attaining a high school diploma or a high school equivalency certification and (3) on-going support from the Re3 Coaches Training staff, access to 16-24 Team Members and a member of the Re3 coaching community with on-line resources and communications.
All 16-24 Year olds in Metro Nashville who have not completed a secondary diploma or certification.
The primary outcomes supported by this Invitation to Participate™ (ITP™) will be to:
- Short term outcome
- 50% of opportunity youth that sign a coaching contract will write an education/career plan with short, mid and long term goals within 30 days of signing coaching agreement
- Increase of the trained Re3 coaching network by 100%
- 75% of trained Re3 Coaches create on-line coaching community of practice through discussions and resource sharing using ComCo.
- Mid-term outcome
- Retention of trained coaches is 75% at the end of 6 month pilot
- 20% of new youth (1) signing coaching agreement, (2) creating a education/career plan, and (3) complete plan and (4) gain employment.
- 50% of Opportunity Youth that (1) sign contract and (2) create an education/career plan (3) access education or career resources.
- 75% of coaches find the online coaching resource community (message boards) as a meaningful and responsive resource.
SERVICES NEEDED FROM THE COMMUNITY
Organizations with staff members who already work in serving the 16-24 YO community in a mentor/counseling or other capacity. The selected staff member will be required to complete an intensive 4 half-day coaches training and become a train-the-trainer with future cohorts. This would be staff in organizations that already work with this population and would like to gain additional skills to better serve and support the 16-24 year olds that are wanting to make positive change and progress in their own lives.
Skills and Attributes of a Successful Reengagement Coach
- Self awareness
- Broad vision with flexibility to attend to detail
- Excellent Communication skills; verbal and written
- Understanding of target audience
- Probes for pertinent details
- Lifelong learner; open to coaching and teaching
- Willingness to collaborate and share experience, expertise with peers
- Ability to motivate others
Re-engagement Coaches Duties/Responsibilities:
- Attend training in the Reengagement Coach Interaction (RCI) model (3 days total)
- Implement the RCI model with clients of the contributing organization
- Fidelity to Alignment Nashville (AN) 16-24 Team reporting guidelines is required
- Set clear, measurable goals for self and others
- Obtain client commitment to program and plan
- Model and teach 21st12st century learning skills: critical thinking, communication, collaboration, creativity
- Model and teach 21st century information, media and technology skills as needed
- Collaborate with both the contributing organization and other local resource organizations in service to clients
- Manage data and recordkeeping via technology efficiently using standard formats
- Provide pilot program feedback to AN's 16-24 OOS/OOW Committee
Deadline to Respond to ITP: September 30, 2015
Community Meeting: Wednesday, September 9, 2015
2:00 pm at Goodwill Industries Lifsey Center, 937 Herman St., Nashville, 37208
Organization/Staff Interviews: Month of October 2015
Selection of Coach Trainees: November 4, 2015
Notification to Organzations: by November 11, 2015
Coaches Training: January 2016
Pilot Kick-Off Event: February 3, 2016
NEED MORE INFORMATION?
o If you have any questions about this Invitation to Participate, please click here to email Glen Biggs, or call 615-585-8731.
o To learn more about about the 16-24 OOS, OOW Alignment Team and its work, click here.
o To contribute additional resources to the Re3 Reengagement Resource Guide click here
o To learn more about how our Invitation To ParticipateTM ( ITPTM) process works, click here.
© 2007-15 A Collaborative Initiative of Alignment NashvilleTM
Invitation To ParticipateTM and ITPTM All rights reserved.