L.E.A.F. Community Nights for International Families
LINKING, EMPOWERING, & ADVANCING FAMILIES
Invitation to ParticipateTM from the Alignment Nashville Integration of International Families Team
LEAF – Linking, Empowering, and Advancing Families – is a collaborative community night to be offered on a weekly basis initially at one Metro middle school to be determined, with expansion to other MNPS clusters with high numbers of NELB (non-English language background) families planned for the program’s second year and beyond. The recurring Wednesday evening event is designed to meet some of the linguistic, academic, and personal development needs of the international community in Nashville and MNPS.
Through existing MNPS resources and engaged community partners, the community night will offer a breadth of simultaneous services to English Learner (EL) families -- both parents and students.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
Based on survey data gathered from a large group of EL families in Nashville, reached via the MNPS English Language Learners’ Office and the Salvation Army, the Integration of International Families Team is reaching out to the community to engage partners who can offer the following services to parent and student LEAF attendees; including, but not limited to:
- Adult ESL
- Elementary & middle reading clinics/tutoring
- PTO/PTA involvement; other parent engagement/parent leadership topics
- Introduction to MNPS processes/procedures; graduation requirements
- Adult finance/banking classes
- Goal-setting/coaching services
- Employment/career planning services; job skill training
- Healthcare information/ referring information for families
- Legal assistance
- Immigration/citizenship classes
- Arts & enrichment activities
- Adult Education/GED prep
- Car basics related to fixing or purchasing
- Computer/technology basics courses
- Social services
- Fitness/Exercise classes
- And others!
In the interest of encouraging families to return to our community nights, the Integration of International Families Team is looking for partners who can commit to 4-week-long modules (wherein a half-hour session is offered for at least 4 consecutive Wednesdays), though the team will also review proposals for standalone sessions and make adjustments as necessary.
The partner enrichment session will take place at 6pm on Wednesday nights and lasts 30 minutes.
Translation services will be provided during partner time by the MNPS ELL Office. Partners do not need to bring their own interpreters.
SCHEDULING & COORDINATION
LEAF Nights will begin on Wednesday, August 17 and continue weekly until Winter Break, excluding October 7 and November 23. See mnpsleaf.org for full fall schedule.
(A second ITP will be released for LEAF Nights taking place from January 2017 until the end of the academic year.)
The nighly LEAF agenda will be conducted as follows:
Wednesdays, 6pm to 8pm
- 6:00 to 6:30pm - adult enrichment & child enrichment provided by partners
- 6:30 to 8:00pm - ESL & tutoring for children & adults provided by MNPS; ESL agencies
Session details and scheduling information will be hosted online in real-time using Alignment Nashville’s Portal software, and can be viewed at www.MNPSLEAF.org. This URL will be circulated widely among EL families and partners.
Alignment Nashville staff will coordinate the scheduling of partners and updating of the LEAF schedule.
ITP CLOSE DATE: EXTENDED TO JUNE 15, 2016
This ITP is calling for partners who can participate in LEAF Nights on 15 Wednesdays ranging from August 17, 2016 to December 7, 2016 (excluding October 5 and November 23).
A new ITP will be released for the second half of the 2016-17 academic year.
TACTIC OUTCOMES TACTIC OUTCOMES
- At least 10 ITP responses
- Average of at least 40 attendees/night
SHORT TERM OUTCOME
- 75% of surveyed parents would recommend the event to a friend
MID TERM OUTCOMES
- Increase in parent understanding of MNPS processes; child’s school experience
- Increase in EL student literacy
LONG TERM OUTCOMES
- Increase high school graduation rate
- Promote community prosperity